A lot of people seek advice on whether a full-size, rackmount pc or laptop should be used inside a cctv unit? So, “Should we buy a laptop or a full-size PC to use in the CCTV van?” We assembled a short list of benefits for the different types of systems to consider.
Benefits of Rackmount:
- Better cooling that is provided with the extra fans.
- Mounting limits jostling, except when the truck is in motion.
- Upgrades and repairs are usually easier and less expensive!
- Can be faster, i.e. more powerful, than a laptop.
- Typically less expensive overall than laptops, especially when performance is considered.
- Rackmount systems can often be “opened” by a user and repaired locally.
Benefits of a Laptop:
- Greater mobility to move from the truck into the office or hotel room.
- Less noise
- Doesn’t require a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- Most components such as Wi-Fi are pre-installed.
- Portability! If you are a single CCTV unit client or have one person doing all inspections, QA/QC, and deliverables, this is a great option as the laptop can go from the truck to the shop.
- Laptop systems often can be purchased with a replacement warranty, meaning if something goes bad, a new pc is to you within a day or two.
- Another sidenote: Keep in mind some software applications require special video card hardware and a laptop may not be optional.
So, the answer varies per client and depends on whether portability is important!